When you are trying to send and receive an email, you may encounter the Outlook send receive error. On getting this error, you won’t be able to send any message and can’t receive any email from others.
This problem mainly occurs if there is a problem with the Internet connection. Apart from that, third-party security software, Windows Firewall, corrupted or missing installation file of Outlook application can also lead to this issue.
In order to ensure you don’t come across any issues while sending/receiving Outlook emails, try some troubleshooting measures.
Effective Solutions to Resolve “Outlook Send Receive Error”
Here, we are going to provide some solutions to get rid of the Outlook send receive error on your device. Therefore, you need to follow and implement them as instructed below:
Solution 1 – Check the Internet Connection
The first thing that you should do is to check the Internet connection. Sometimes, a poor network connection can result in this error on the computer. Therefore, you need to check whether the Internet is properly working or not. If not, then you need to restart the network.
Note: If you are using the WiFi, you can restart the router. Whereas, if the system is connected to an Ethernet, you can disconnect the cable and then reconnect it.
Solution 2 – Disable the Windows Defender Firewall
Sometimes, the Windows Defender Firewall can trigger the Outlook send/receive error on your computer. So, you need to disable the firewall at the earliest. The following directions will help you:
- Click the Start tab and select the Control Panel. Go to the Windows Firewall section and click on the “Turn Windows Defender Firewall On or Off” option from the left panel.
- On the right window, mark on the box next to the “Turn Off Windows Defender Firewall” option. Do this for both Public Network Settings and Private Network Settings sections.
- After performing these steps, click on the “Save Changes” option.
Finally, reboot the PC and then check if the Windows Firewall was triggering the problem or not.
Solution 3- Uninstall Third-Party Security Software
If the third-party security software is installed on your computer, you can come across this issue quite often. Therefore, you should remove the security software from the device. To know more about it follow these directions:
- Hit the Windows logo and click on the Settings icon.
- Navigate to the Apps section and select the “Apps & Features” tab.
- Scroll down the page until you find the third-party security software. Then select it and click on the “Uninstall” option.
- Once the uninstallation process is complete, restart your device.
Now, try to send any mail from your Outlook account to check if the error appears again.
Solution 4 – Run the Outlook in Safe Mode
Sometimes, opening the Outlook in safe mode can also get rid of the send-receive error on Outlook. To try this method, follow the undermentioned steps:
- Launch the Run dialog window by pressing Windows+R keys.
- Type “outlook /safe” in the Run box and click on the OK option or hit the Enter key.
- Now your Outlook will be opened in safe mode.
So, try to send the mail and see if you are getting send/receive error.
Solution 5 – Repair the PST File
Repairing the PST file can also eliminate this problem on your computer. Go through these steps to apply this fix:
- Press the Windows logo button and “E” to launch the File Explorer window.
- From the File Explorer window, navigate to the following directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office (Version).
- Look for the “SCANPST.EXE” file and choose the “Run as administrator” option.
- On the scanning application, click on the “Browse” button and locate the “.pst” file that you are using.
- Thereafter, click on the Start option to begin the scanning process.
If you find any problem, then click on the “Repair” option.
Solution 6 – Install the Latest Version of Outlook
An older version of the Outlook application can lead to this error. So, you should update Outlook as soon as possible. To update it, follow these directions:
- Visit Microsoft’s official website and look for the latest version of the Outlook application.
- After finding it, download it by clicking on the Download button.
- Once it is downloaded, install it correctly. However, this might require you to uninstall the outdated version of Outlook on your PC.
After installing Outlook with the latest updates, reboot the computer and check if it solves the issue or not.
Solution 7 – Repair the Outlook Application
The “Outlook send receive error” can be caused by a corrupted application installation as well. So, you need to repair it by following these directions:
- Press the Windows logo button and choose the Control Panel.
- When the Control Panel window opens, double-click on the “Programs & Features” section.
- Locate the Outlook application, then select it.
- After that, click on the Change option and click on the “Repair” button to begin the process.
Once the process of updating Outlook finishes up, restart your computer.
Solution 8 – Stop Large Outgoing Emails & Rectify Spam Settings
To resolve this issue on your computer, you can stop large outgoing emails & rectify spam settings. So, follow the given directions:
- Launch the Outlook application. Go to the “Send/Receive” tab and click on the Work Offline option.
- After that, launch the Outlook application and check if any emails are there or not. If yes, right-click on it. Then choose the “Delete” option or simply move it to the Draft folder.
- Again, launch the Send/Receive section and untick the Work Offline button.
Once you are done with these steps, restart the PC and try to send the email to check if it works correctly or not.
Solution 9 – Remove the Add-Ins
Sometimes, the third-party add-ins on the Outlook can also be responsible for the send/receive error. So, you should remove the add-ins as soon as possible. Here are some steps that you can try:
- At first, open the Outlook application. Go to the File section and choose “Options” from the left navigation pane.
- In the Outlook Options window, select the “Add-ins” tab on the left panel.
- Thereafter, choose all the third-party Add-ins installed on your computer and click on the “Remove” option.
After completing it, reboot the Outlook application.
Solution 10 – Check and Accurate Email Account Settings
If the email settings are incorrect, you can get this error message on the device. So, you need to correct them. Follow the performing directions:
- Firstly, open the Outlook and click on the “File” tab.
- When the File window opens, click on the “Account Settings” and choose the “Change” option.
- Thereafter, click on the “More Settings” option and go to the “Outlook Server” tab.
- From the Outlook Server window, tick the box next to the “My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication”. Then click on the “Log onto the incoming server before sending mail” option.
Once you are done with these directions, click on the OK button to save the changes.
Solution 11 – Reinstall the Outlook Client Application
After performing the previous solutions, if the Send/Receive error still persists, you need to reinstall the Outlook client application on your device. Follow the directions cited below:
- Press the Win + X keys together to launch the WinX menu list and then select the Control Panel.
- Go to the “Programs & Features” section and locate the Outlook client application. Select it and click on the “Uninstall” option.
- After uninstalling the Outlook client application, reboot the PC and reinstall it.
- To install it, go to the Microsoft website and download the latest version of the Outlook client application. Then install it by following the setup wizard.
- Once it is installed, restart the system and then check if the problem is resolved.
The following solutions will help you out to resolve the “Outlook send/receive error” message on your system.