Errors are not uncommon on Outlook. At times users may find that Outlook keeps crashing without any possible reasons. This issue appears mainly due to virus or malware infection on your device.
However, there can be various other reasons for the occurrence of this error. If the add-ins get corrupted, or if some installation files of the Outlook application gets misplaced or corrupted, then there is a possibility to encounter this problem.
Further, due to some corruption of the email accounts, you can meet with this issue. Moreover, if the Outlook account is configured properly, then also you might face this issue.
Here, we have listed some quick and easy solutions to resolve this glitch. So, read this article fully to effectively resolve this problem.
Solutions to Resolve Outlook Keeps Crashing
In this section of the article, there will be various methods that will help you to eradicate the issue when Outlook keeps crashing.
Fix 1: Deactivate the Hardware Acceleration Feature
Hardware acceleration is a feature within the program that helps it to perform better. Nowadays most of the applications are using this feature, Outlook is one of them.
But, if this feature malfunctions, then you might face frequent crashes on Outlook. Now, the feasible answer to solve this issue is to disable the hardware acceleration feature on the Outlook application.
In order to do that, follow the steps below.
- First, open the computer and then from its desktop, locate and double-click on the Microsoft Outlook application icon.
- As soon as the application starts up, go to the menu bar at the top of the window. Next, locate and then tap on the ‘File’ menu.
- At this moment, a drop-down list will pop up, in it, choose the ‘Options’ item. After that, from the sublist, choose the ‘Advanced’ subitem.
- Next, a new window will appear with the name ‘Advanced’. Within this window, find the section ‘Display’.
- Now, under that section, put a checkmark in the ‘Disable Hardware graphics acceleration’. Then close the Outlook application.
- Restart the computer and then open the Outlook application and check if this error occurs or not.
Fix 2: Disable the Add-ins within Outlook Application
If the add-ins present within the Outlook application gets corrupted somehow, then there is a huge change for you to face this problem. Now, the best possible solution to resolve this glitch is to deactivate all the add-ins.
For this to happen, follow the steps given below.
- First, press on both the ‘Windows + R’ keys, to launch the ‘Run’ dialog box.
- Next, within that dialog box, beside the ‘Open:’ label, type in the following text “outlook.exe /safe”. Then, press the ‘OK’ button.
- As soon as you do that, a new window with the title ‘Outlook’ will come up.
- Inside that window, locate the ‘File’ menu present on the menu bar. This will open a list full of items. From that list, locate the ‘Options’ item and click on it.
- Now, a new dialog box will appear on that window with the name ‘Outlook Options’. Within that dialog box, go to the left pane and then choose the ‘Add-ins’ option.
- After that, navigate to the right side of that dialog box having a heading ‘View and manage Microsoft Office Add-ins’.
- Then, go to the bottom of the dialog box and beside the ‘Manage’ label tap on the drop-down list. From that list, locate and choose the ‘COM Add-ins’ option and then hit the ‘Go’ button beside it.
- Another dialog box will come up with the name ‘COM Add-ins’ and a list of all the add-ins that are installed into the application. Uncheck every add-in from that list and then tap on the ‘OK’ button.
- Now, quit from the Outlook application.
- Lastly, after some time, restart that software and then check if it crashes or not.
Fix 3: Remove Every Email Account and Add Them Once Again
If there are any corrupt email account, then there is a possibility for you to face this issue. The best solution to resolve this issue is to just delete all the email accounts stored in the computer and then add them once again.
Follow the steps presented below.
- First, press the ‘Windows + S’ keys together. This action will open the default ‘Search’ section of the Windows Operating System.
- Next, within that section, write the text ‘control panel’ on the blank area. After that, from the list which comes up, locate and then choose the ‘Control Panel’ option.
- Now, a new window will appear with the name ‘Control Panel’. In that window, there will be various types of setting categories for the computer which you can alter at your will.
- Now, out of all those setting categories, choose the one that says ‘User Accounts’. Then, from another page with the name ‘User Accounts’ find and then select the ‘Mail’ option.
- As soon as you do that, a new ‘Mail’ window will come up. Within that window, tap on the ‘Email accounts’ option.
- From the list containing all the email accounts, choose the one that you want to delete and then tap on the ‘Remove’ button.
- Repeat the above step for all the remaining email accounts and remove them.
- Once the removal of all the accounts is complete, add all those email accounts which were deleted.
- Finally, launch the Outlook application and then see if this error comes back or not.
Fix 4: Execute the Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant Utility to Scan Outlook
If the Outlook application is not configured properly, then you might get this error. The easiest solution to resolve this issue is to use the ‘Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant’ tool. Here are the steps that you can follow.
- First, open the web browser and then visit the official ‘Outlook Support Center’ website.
- After that, tap on the ‘Download Now’ button. At this moment, if a prompt comes up within the browser, then tap on the ‘Run’ button.
- As soon as you do that, a small window will appear with the label ‘Do you want to install this application?’. Inside that window, press the ‘Install’ button.
- Now, the application will be downloaded and then installed. After the installation gets over, a new window ‘Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant for Office 365’ will open.
- Within this window, locate and then choose the ‘Advanced diagnostics’ option. Then click on the ‘Next’ button.
- Next, from the page that comes up next, select the ‘Outlook’ application option and then tap the ‘Next’ button.
- When a prompt comes up on this window that asks if the computer is affected or not, select the ‘Yes’ radio button and click on the ‘Next’.
- A new page within this window will show up, that has a heading ‘Let’s get started fixing your problem’. In this page, give your email account credentials on the specific fields and then tap on the ‘Next’ button.
- Once the email account that you have entered gets validated, the scan will begin automatically. The scanning process may take some time to complete.
- When this procedure is complete, a page “We‘re done collecting your Outlook configuration details” will come up, along with a list full of all the issues found.
- From that list, choose an issue and then search for an effective solution.
Fix 5: Make a New Outlook Profile
Sometimes, when the Outlook profile gets corrupted due to some reason, it may keep crashing. The best and the most effective solution to get rid of this problem is to make a new profile within the Outlook application.
The steps on how you can do that are as follows.
- First, tap on the ‘Windows + R’ keys simultaneously. This will launch a new ‘Run’ dialog box.
- Next, inside that dialog box, write the following text – “control panel” on the empty space beside the label ‘Open:’. As soon as you do that, a new ‘Control Panel‘ window will appear.
- Within that window, go to the upper right corner of the window and then beside the label ‘View by:’, choose the drop-down menu. Next, from that menu choose the ‘Large icons’ option.
- After that, from the ‘Control Panel’ window, locate and then choose the ‘Mail (32-bit)’ option. Now, a new Mail Setup – Outlook’ dialog box will come up.
- Inside that dialog box, go to the ‘Profiles’ section and then choose the ‘Show Profiles…’ button. Now, another new ‘Mail’ window will appear. In it, click on the ‘Add…’ button. A small dialog box with the title ‘New Profile’ will popup.
- Inside this dialog box, enter the ‘Profile Name:’ and then tap on ‘OK’ button.
- As soon as you do that, a new ‘Add Account’ window will appear. In this window, enter valid information on the correct fields like ‘Your Name’, ‘Email Address’, ‘Password’ and etc.
- After all the details are provided correctly, tap on the ‘Next’ button. This action will create an Outlook profile automatically.
- At last, on the ‘Mail’ window, choose the newly created Outlook profile from the list and then, under the label ‘When starting Microsoft Outlook, use this profile:’ choose the ‘Prompt for a profile to be used’ radio button.
- Finally, click the ‘Apply’ and then ‘OK’ buttons one after another.
Follow the methods given above to eradicate the Outlook keeps crashing error simply and easily. However, if even after following all the steps and procedure, you are still unable to resolve this problem, then do not worry.
Provide every detail of the problem that you encounter in the comment section and get an instant reply from an expert.